Mitigating human error in the SP

gordon b slater gordslater at ieee.org
Tue Feb 2 12:57:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 12:26 +0000, gb10hkzo-nanog at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>  Nothing in the IT / ISP / Telco world is ever going to be perfect,
>  far too complex with many dependencies.   Yes you might play in your
>  perfect little labs until the cows come home ..... but there always
>  has been and always will be an element of risk when you start making
>  changes in production.
>  Face it, unless you follow the rigorous change control and development
>  practices that they use for avionics or other high-risk environments,
>  you are always going to be left with some element of risk.

Agreed.

I'd say that 10 minutes of checklist creation at the onset of a change
plan, then 5 minutes of checklist revision/debrief per day is time well
spent. After a couple of months attitudes to SOPs usually change.

_insert duplicate of aviation-style check-listing and human factors
reporting thread here_

Gord

followed by: "help - SORBS has me blacklisted", again
:)