POE bump-in-the-wire conversion

Thomas Donnelly tad1214 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 17:42:21 UTC 2010

We have some Aastra 9480i phones that are 802.3 af running off of a cisco
3550 that are Pre-Standard power.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps646/prod_qas09186a00800913d3.html
"Q. Does the Cisco Catalyst 3550-24 PWR Switch support the 802.3af inline
power standard?
A. No, this switch supports Cisco Pre-Standard Power over Ethernet. The
Catalyst 3750 Series and Catalyst 3560 Series support the Cisco
Pre-Standard Power over Ethernet and IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet."

I used the command

  power inline delay shutdown 20 initial 100

on the ports connected to the phones and it seems to be working just fine.

It may just be a lucky break for us but something worth trying?

-=Tom