Muni Fiber Last Mile - a contrary opinion

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Dec 27 05:34:37 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Michael DeMan <nanog at deman.com> said:
> On Dec 26, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> > The AT&T (formerly BellSouth) cabinets around here mostly have natural
> > gas generators included, so they almost never go out.  The cable
> > companies, on the other hand, might have enough battery to last through
> > a brownout.
>
> Interesting - out of curiosity, how big are these cabinets/pedestals?  Or would you by chance know details on the natgas power system they are using?

I don't know; I've just seen them driving by (since other cabinets don't
have a gas meter, they stand out).  It looks like they set up two
cabinets about 6-8 feet wide, 3 feet deep, and 4-5 feet high (just
guestimating).  Maybe one cabinet for power/batteries/generator and one
for the telco gear?

> Natgas is not ideal in a full-on disaster scenario like an earthquake,
> but probably could add another '9' onto service levels?  I have never
> heard of or seen such a thing, but it is a really good idea.

I'm in north Alabama; earthquakes aren't a significant problem here.
The biggest I can remember was something like a 3.2, just enough to hear
and feel.  We're far enough from New Madrid that it shouldn't be an
issue.

Our main problem is severe storms (thunderstorms and tornados), the
once-every-few-decades ice storm, and the random exploding transformer.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>