Muni Fiber Last Mile - a contrary opinion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 27 03:10:49 UTC 2010

On Dec 26, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> You are likely already at the mercy of some local hut for your dialtone. Very few things home run to the co these days. It's unlikely any hut has more than 24 hours of battery.

I know this is true where FTTN overlays have been built. However, in the majority of California, at least, that is still more the exception than the
rule and there is usually a Cat-3 Copper home-run for local dialtone.

> I have talked to local techs that make the same trip each shift to fuel the generator during regular or minor power outages. Anything major, expect the service to die.

If nothing else, I expect various other components in the system (trunk overload, switch dialtone exhaustion, etc.)
in anything major anyway.

However, 24 hours of dialtone after something happens still exceeds the average cablemodem duration after the
power flickers.

Owen