Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Dec 23 18:17:46 UTC 2010

On 12/23/10 9:19 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> And that's just another argument in favor of muni fiber -- since it's municipal,
> it will by definition serve every address, and since it's monopoly, it will
> enable competition by making it practical for competitors to start up, since
> they'll have trival access to all comers.

Muni-fiber builds do not "by definition serve every address."

Municipalities have their own priorities which tend to involve
police/fire water treatment/waste handling. Having worked on
fiber-builds/swaps with a couple of municipalities, and the corporations
that they set up to manage their facilites it's one thing when it runds
down the street in front of your building and quite another when you
want to extend a spur to some far flug location on the edge of town. The
fact that I can get a wavelength to county dump in Eugene OR the
composting facility in Palo Alto doesn't really do anything for the
residential access market.