Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Pete Carah pete at altadena.net
Tue Dec 21 19:59:57 UTC 2010

On 12/20/2010 06:36 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

<snip>
> I'm happy for you. The AT&T cable plant in my neighborhood is unable to
> sustain any better than 1.5mbps/384k on ADSL.
And mine (older Baltimore-area, ex-bell atlantic, now verizon) won't
sustain 384x384 at 15k ft, it works with about 10% packet loss when dry
and dies altogether when wet (actually, often even POTS won't work when
wet in the last year or so; wires are getting worse).  VZ won't do
anything about it (well, they *did* finally (5 yrs later) get around to
wiring for fios.)  VZ *tells* you that 1.5x384 will work.  Little do
they know about older outside plant...

-- Pete