Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 20 17:58:29 UTC 2010

On Dec 20, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

>> From nanog-bounces+bonomi=mail.r-bonomi.com at nanog.org  Sun Dec 19 23:31:25 2010
>> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:30:45 -0800
>> From: JC Dill <jcdill.lists at gmail.com>
>> To: NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>
>> Subject: Re: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style
>>
>>  On 19/12/10 8:44 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> You can send letters
>>
>> Technically, this is illegal.  You can send "documents" via FedEx and UPS.
>>
>>> just as well as packages via the other carriers.
>>>
>>> The "USPS monopoly" on first class mail is absurd. In fact, FedEx, UPS,
>>> et. al could offer a $0.44 letter product if they wanted to.
>>
>> No, they can't.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Express_Statutes
>>
>>> They could not call it mail. They could call it "first class document delivery."
>>>
>>> However, the reality is that they probably couldn't sustain their business
>>> at that price point.
>>>
>>> The USPS doesn't have an actual monopoly so much as ownership of
>>> the term Mail almost like a trademark.
>>

>> It's not just a trademark, it's the class of service.  Just try starting
>> up a regular mail service, and see how far you get before they SHUT YOU
>> DOWN.
>
> Actually, the gov't -won't- shut you down in that situation.  They *WILL*,
> however make you pay -them- the statutory "first-class" postage rate for
> each such piece you carry.
>
> Aside: put a 'personal' sealed envelope communication inside a FedEx/UPS/
> whatever shimpent, and you are _supposed_ to (a) 'declare' it on the
> outside of the package, and (b) put the appropriate postage stamps on
> the package.
>
> The "FedEx' 'overnight letter' (and other carrier equivalents) is a really
> cute case of threading the needle between what does and does not require
> first-class postage.  It makes _interesting_ reading to review the actual
> tariffs and express service 'rules' on what you can send via that service.

Like I said... Once you untangle all the regulations, the net effect is not
a monopoly so much as a byzantine set of laws and regulations designed
to make it look like you have to pay USPS no matter what when in
reality that's not the case.

For all practical purposes, the post office faces what competition is
practical.

Owen