Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Dec 20 02:25:54 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 06:12:02PM -0800, JC Dill wrote:

> And if a competing water service thought they could do better than the
> incumbent, why not let them put in a competing water project?  If they
> think they can make money after the cost of the infrastructure, then
> they may be onto something.  We don't have to worry that too many
> would join in, the laws of diminishing returns would make it
> unprofitable for the nth company to build out the infrastructure to
> enter the market.

The laws of diminishing returns have already set the bar for the point
at which it's not profitable for a new company to enter the market and
try to compete. Right now the number is roughly 2, cable and dsl, give
or take a few outliers. I do believe the point would be to encourage a
little more competition than that. :)