UN mulls internet regulation options

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Sun Dec 19 21:48:45 UTC 2010

On Dec 19, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 12/18/2010 9:52 PM, Joseph Prasad wrote:
>> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/242051,un-mulls-internet-regulation-options.aspx
>

> Given the season, their efforts appear to be a form of mulled whine.

Well, if you have followed the news, it comes down to the fact that some of our old friends from WSIS/WGIG/IGF+ICANN/GAC "we're the government and we like the idea of being in charge" friends are at it again. In one corner, Brazil, China, South Africa, and Saudi Arabia; in the other, US, Austria, and so on. The current state of play is that the folk in the first corner would like an exclusive club, and a combination of parties including the folks in the second corner and a variety of civil society, industry, ad etc parties and rocked the boat back in the direction of multi-stakeholder discussions.

My prediction: the boat will keep rocking, and the "givmint" folks will try again. And again.