Alacarte Cable and Geeks

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sat Dec 18 11:51:17 UTC 2010

Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> writes:

>> This Can't End Well.
>
> Why not?  As people shift from watching broadcast channels to
> streaming content and look to shut off their cable TV service, but
> keep internet, the cable co's are just going to have to raise internet
> prices to compensate.  I can see a future where you buy internet from
> the cable co and they give you the basic cable TV channel lineup at
> "no charge" but in reality, you're paying for the cable internet what
> you used to pay for both cable internet and TV.

Here in NoVA (Comcast former Adelpha territory), the future is now.

I used to have internet-only service (there is little on TV that I
care about).  A bit over a year and a half ago, we added basic cable
to the service.  Total additional cost per month to go from
Internet-only to Internet-plus-TV-bundle (same speed) was about $4.

-r