Alacarte Cable and Geeks

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Fri Dec 17 19:18:08 UTC 2010

Jay Ashworth wrote:
> individual subscriber pushed the complexity up, in much the same way
> that flat rate telecom services are popular equally because customers
> prefer them, and because the *cost of keeping track* becomes >delta.

Can someone then please explain me why the hell in many other countries
flatrate telecom service (I refer to flatrate local calls) does not
exist or has been phased out. In the Netherlands they phased it out in
the mid to late 80s. I am sure the then government owned telecom rats
saw increased revenue coming real soon now due to increased modem usage.

(still pissed at ridiculously and unnecessarily high phonebills...)

It seems to me that at least in that case the cost of keeping track was
far less than the increased revenue that metered (if that's the right
word) local calls would provide.

Regards,
Jeroen

--