Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Dec 16 16:20:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, JC Dill wrote:

> Sure, Comcast's customers are also paying Comcast.  But Comcast wants to get
> paid from the content provider.  I think they are betting that in the long
> run it's easier to make money from content providers (and have the content
> providers charge customers or advertisers as necessary to make a profit) than
> to make money from the end consumer.  And I think they are right about this
> "easier" part.  I think that they will succeed at pressuring big content
> providers to play by Comcast's rules and shift the cost of running Comcast's
> network from consumers to content providers.

Personally, I'd like to see any provider (content or otherwise) tell
Comcast (as things stand today) to pound sand when asked to enter into
such a 'paid peering' arrangement with them.  As others have said, the
fact that Comcast is holding their customers hostage to squeeze money
out of providers who often have no direct connectivity to Comcast is
particularly troubling.  I don't use Comcast for Internet access, but
I've been considering kicking their overpriced cable TV service to the
curb for some time now...

jms