Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 16:17:23 UTC 2010

On 12/16/10 9:51 AM, Craig L Uebringer wrote:
> Funny thing about competition is that there are losers as well as winners.
>   DSL competition
> didn't lose by regulation, it lost (nationally) by cheaper, more elastic
> bandwidth available
> on other media and JC's previously-noted fickle and lazy consumers.

Apparently, you've never owned or run an ISP in the past dozen years....

   Pacific Bell Telephone v. LinkLine, 07-512

It lost *precisely* by regulation: Google "Tauzin-Dingell".

We used to offer up to 7 Mbps bidirectional DSL long before cable or the
Bells offered anything in that range.  We had our own DSLAMs.

How exactly do you compete when the Incumbent charges us $80 per month
wholesale for UNE lines that they sell $10 per month retail?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-10-DSL-Today-84904

Note that's only $10 for "new" customers (that is, *our* customers).

And that's just the tip of the iceberg:

http://www.cybertelecom.org/broadband/dslnaked.htm

org.law.rutgers.edu/publications/lawjournal/issues/38_1/Sholinsky.pdf