Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Dec 15 22:54:10 UTC 2010

On 12/15/10 2:37 PM, Randy Epstein wrote:
> Jon,
> If ratios are really a concern and you really need to maximize your port
> capacity, there are ways to balance this; balance your customer base.  Start
> hosting content.  Now, this might not help on private peering interconnects,
> but if you peer publicly, this will help you balance (and take advantage of)
> your public peering capacity.

To that point, comcast does sell wholesale ip transit and they have a
quite a few unused timeslots for packets in the egress direction...

Ratios shouldn't matter in sense that unblanced ratios do not imply that
mutual benfit is not being derived from the interconnection. If for
example, I get access to your customer's and you no longer have to pay a
transit provider for my transit then we both win even if the flow is
virtually all inbound.