Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Rettke, Brian Brian.Rettke at cableone.biz
Wed Dec 15 00:49:41 UTC 2010

I'm surprised that no one seems to think that "bandwidth" is really just a series of interconnects. If indeed their links are saturated, they are probably either near an upgrade point (if their forecasting was correct) or trying to negotiate one (if their forecasting is bad or there is a sudden new leech on bandwidth, like streaming video). It's not free, it's never quick and easy. The best thing that can happen is that they are either adding additional links to TATA (which requires TATA, any carrier facilities, and any LECs) to reach an agreement to complete the interconnect, or they are looking at sending traffic to another link.

Usually, the balance is between the most direct link to a source, or the most efficient use of resources on the network. There is a balance to be found. No matter what the agenda, no service provider actively tries to make their customers angry - Their job is to be transparent. The problems arise naturally, if I move your bandwidth to provider B where I have free bandwidth, your "ping" increases by 20 ms, the path is not as direct, and complaints roll in.

There is no single provider that ever has or ever will be completely ahead of the curve all of the time. It's a constant infrastructure build.

As for the Comcast take on content, it's not a new one, not unique to Comcast, but completely foreign to the American consumer. I think both require re-education and a new plan.