Wake on LAN in the enterprise

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Dec 13 16:32:52 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 10:20 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> WOL is unfortunately terribly deficient in that the spec. never envisioned the possibility
> of a need for wake on WAN.
>
> Bottom line, it's a non-routeable layer 2 protocol. Your choices boil down to the
> helper address nightmare you describe or proxy servers on every subnet.

I would suspect that proxy servers being the better deal, though my
experience with Cisco is that you may have to use ASR type gear to get a
nicer layout (similar to service providers) where you can backend
everything to a radius server (I'm still waiting to test this myself,
but IOS is really weak on DHCP support).

Jack