Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Dec 10 20:30:28 UTC 2010

Ah,

Honestly we can usually point to the exact cause of the attacks once we have time to triage the situation.

Recently it has been stuff like:

-Made someone in Asia angry.
-Running a runescape server and made someone angry
-Made someone on IRC angry

It has been pretty rare to see an attack that wasn't just the end result of a pissing contest.

and like I said most of the ones I have seen recently are either UDP 80 floods which is probably the result of one of the UDP.PL variants or fragments (UDP DST 0) attacks which kind of indicates at least in part that the 'attacker' simply downloaded the first thing they could find that said 'DDoS' on it and didn't spend too much time worrying about it.

This is probably mainly because of how easy it is now to acquire dedicated servers (that arent properly monitored) and have 1Gbps (and now) 10Gbps connections to the Internet.

How many organizations are using 10G connections to the Internet these days?

-Drew