[Operational] Internet Police

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 10 17:06:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:08:00 EST, Lamar Owen said:
> In reality DoS threats/execution of those threats/ 'pwning' / website
> vandalism are all forms of terrorism.

Let's not dilute the meaning of terrorism to the point where graffiti, cyber
or otherwise, is classifed as terrorism.

The USA Patriot act says: "activities that (A) involve acts dangerous to human
life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the U.S. or of any state,
that (B) appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian
population, (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or
coercion, or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction,
assassination, or kidnapping, and (C) occur primarily within the territorial
jurisdiction of the U.S."

I don't think Joe SIxpack felt intimidated or coerced by a few DDoS attacks,
nor did it seem to do much to change official US policy (mostly because
the guys in DC are running around like the Headless Horsechicken trying
to figure out what our policy *IS*).  And it's the rare DDoS that becomes
an act "dangerous to human life".

I believe the word you wanted was "hooliganism".  And we have a legal system
that has about 3,000 years of experience in dealing with *that*, thank you very
much.