Windows Encryption Software

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Dec 10 13:21:19 UTC 2010

* Brandon Kim:

> I know windows has bitlocker, but I don't know if that is available
> for Win2003?

I believe EFS is available in Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server, too.

Software-based solutions have the advantage that they are somewhat
more testable and reviewable.  If it's all in the disk, you can't
really be sure that the data is encrypted with a static key, and the
passphrase is used for access control only.  The latter approach seems
to be somewhat common with encrypting storage devices, unfortunately.