Mastercard problems

Ken Chase ken at sizone.org
Wed Dec 8 22:10:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 04:05:32PM -0600, Jorge Amodio said:
  >> Yes it has:
  >>
  >> http://blog.securetrading.com/2010/12/mastercard-maestro-3-d-secure/
  >
  >I've been processing cards all day for my wife's biz without any problems.

there are other payment processors out there for mastercard and visa,
im sure in canada I dont bother clearing the charges I put through with
a single master server in the US, they're probably also distributed
for various reasons (fibre cuts speed of transaction, etc). When I hit
the bigger grocery stores, the approval is almost instantaneous. Not
sure what they're using for backhaul to where, but it aint DSL or a phone
line.

Taking out that kinda distributed architecture would require attacking the
protocol with a self propagating attack (~Stuxnet), not the individual
sites that do the processing.

Im sure Mastercard has some skills on how to run an internal 'cloud'.

/kc
--
Ken Chase - ken at heavycomputing.ca - +1 416 897 6284 - Toronto CANADA
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151 Front St. W.