Start accepting longer prefixes as IPv4 depletes?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Dec 8 19:17:09 UTC 2010

In a message written on Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 07:30:52PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> I'm hoping to get some modest support here before jumping into the RIR policy shark tanks.

There is no RIR policy here.

There is no authority which can tell you what length are prefixes
are accepted.   Each backbone network makes their own decision on
how to filter their customers and peers.

If backbones find it commercially worth while to accept /28's from
customers and route them, they will do just that.   Some will do
it relatively quickly, others will hold out and filter them for
years.

This is not something RIR's, IETF, NANOG, or anyone else can fix,
and in fact they should not try to fix.  It will sort itself out,
in due time.