Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 15:43:52 UTC 2010

  On 08/12/10 4:28 AM, Arturo Servin wrote:
> 	One big problem (IMHO) of DDoS is that sources (the host of botnets) may be completely unaware that they are part of a DDoS. I do not mean the bot machine, I mean the ISP connecting those.

ISPs are not the source.  The source is Microsoft.  The source is their
buggy OS that is easily compromised to enable the computers to be taken
over as part of the botnet.

Why isn't ANYONE going after Microsoft over this?  If Microsoft were
held accountable for the spam and DDOSs that spew from their crappy
software, they would find a way to stop the problem.  I've raised this
issue before, IMHO Windows OSs are "attractive nuisances" and that legal
argument can be used to hold Microsoft responsible for not putting an
adequate "fence" around their "attractive nuisance".

If all the big ISPs banded together to file suit against Microsoft, they
could share the cost (and pain) of the lawsuit.  Instead, you each
individually keep trying to implement in-house solutions to filter/block
spam and DDOSs.  How's that working for ya?

jc