Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

Arturo Servin arturo.servin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 12:28:34 UTC 2010

	One big problem (IMHO) of DDoS is that sources (the host of botnets) may be completely unaware that they are part of a DDoS. I do not mean the bot machine, I mean the ISP connecting those.

	In the other hand the target of a DDoS cannot do anything to stop to attack besides adding more BW or contacting one by one the whole path of providers to try to minimize the effect.

	I know that this has many security concerns, but would it be good a signalling protocol between ISPs to inform the sources of a DDoS attack in order to take semiautomatic actions to rate-limit the traffic as close as the source? Of course that this is more complex that these three or two lines, but I wonder if this has been considerer in the past.

Regards.
-as