Lightning Debates at NANOG 51

Tom Daly tom at dyn.com
Tue Dec 7 20:45:15 UTC 2010

Greg,

> i suspect you are correct,  not sure who would elect for the slower
> standard,  considering they hit the streets fairly close to each other
> and I can't see there being a huge difference in cost, but i could be
> wrong. (the isp i'm connected to is running100G now)

Regarding 40G/100G, I'm sure some in the NANOG community have some feeling towards 40G as it was intended to be a server platform standard. With architectures such as 1aq, TRILL, VL2, etc, there may be some grounds here. What's the good of 100G if you can't push the PPS, for example. Just a thought...

> i've more 10G ports than you can shake a stick at actually…  my '?'
> was again,  people debate this?  as the bit rates are verbatum,  the
> major difference which one would choose the other over from my
> understanding was distance to endpoint..  but again i could be wrong…
> wishing now i didn't send anything.  8)

Nah, send away. What debate were you volunteering to take a position on again? :)

Tom