Abuse@ contacts

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Tue Dec 7 19:10:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 04:39:54PM -0000, Gavin Pearce wrote:
> How many of you (honestly) actively manage and respond to abuse@ contact
> details listed in WHOIS? Or have had any luck with abuse@ contacts in
> the past? Who's good and who isn't?

Inbound: wherever I am, I try to make it a point of emphasis that
incoming mail to abuse very likely represent someone trying to help
us by doing the job that we failed to do, and as such, it deserves
very high priority, and -- if correct -- our gratitude.

Outbound: mixed.  I've had excellent response from academic institutions
(most recently Indiana University) and from some commercial operations
(e.g., mail.com).  I've had responses somewhere between "non-existent",
"miserable", and "random" from major freemail providers.

---rsk