Pointer for documentation on actually delivering IPv6

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sun Dec 5 04:18:47 UTC 2010

On 05/12/2010, at 2:29 PM, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

> On 12/4/10 10:52 PM, Ben Jencks wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 22:40, Mark Radabaugh<mark at amplex.net>  wrote:
>>> Probably a case of something being blindingly obvious but...
>>>
>>> I have seen plenty of information on IPv6 from a internal network
>>> standpoint.  I have seen very little with respect to how a ISP is supposed
>>> to handle routing to residential consumer networks. I have seen suggestions
>>> of running RIPng.  The thought of letting Belkin routers (if you can call
>>> them that) into the routing table scares me no end.
>>>
>>> Is this way easier than I think it is?   Did somebody already write the book
>>> that I can't find?
>> DHCPv6-PD (prefix delegation) with the relay installing static routes
>> is probably the most straightforward way. Letting home CPE participate
>> in routing does indeed seem like bad idea; I haven't heard that
>> seriously suggested before.
>>
>> -Ben
> I had found the documentation on DHCPv6-PD but didn't see the mechanism
> for getting the assigned prefixes into the router.

RADIUS.

When your session comes up you get, in our trial (http://ipv6.internode.on.net) a /64 assigned to your PPP interface.
You can choose to send an RA and assigned your router an IP in this or not.

Otherwise your router sends a DHCPv6 PD request to our BRAS.  Our BRAS knows who you are and does a radius request.  Our RADIUS server sends back either a pool name or a static /60 (for the trial) which then gets routed to your interface.  You then assign internally as required.

MMC