Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sat Dec 4 05:17:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> > (OK, so it's not as practical when you have other customers to worry
> > about... but it might not be so crazy when you're looking at the
> > efficiency numbers for 100,000 small 1u power supplies vs a set
> > of much larger ones.)
>
> Ohm's law is a bitch. 10kamp -48v DC plants are bad enough as far as the amount of copper required, running 12v for significant distance is comical, this is the reason small boats airplanes and diesel trucks adopt 24v systems. There's probably some model where top of rack rectifiers makes sense but that's really pretty much what a blade server is. When you look at a motherboard in a server a big chunk of of real-estate is devoted to taking 12v and switching it down to 1.2-1.8 for distribution to the CPU/memory, a 4 socket server might have to carry 400amp around in a space of around 300cm^2 on a layer of the pcb.
>
> The justification for running 208 or 480 all the way to a cabinet is all about smaller conductors.

Isn't this one area where Google have already (re-)pioneered recently?

Besides, there's a reason why AC won over DC for carrying 0 < x < few hundred
(or thousand? Amps) over a reasonable distance. IANA-PowerEngineer, but
ISTR the behaviour/efficiency of voltage/current over distance for both
AC and DC is well understood. (And no, ISTR it isn't "AC wins." :-)

If you're at all serious about discussing this, I bet spending 15 minutes
doing some research and then an hour or so crafting some simultaneous equations
to solve/graph would be very very eye-opening.

Come on guys/girls, you're a bright bunch, post some models and discuss
those rather than un-substantiated datapoints! :-)

2c,

Adrian