Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sat Dec 4 03:25:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2010, at 16:58, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:21:07 PST, Matthew Petach said:
>
> People are still feeding their gear with AC?  Save on PS inefficiency,
>
> and feed direct 12/5vDC to the servers.  Save space, save power,
>
> save cooling.
>
> What does that do to customer equipment choices?  I've got a quarter acre of
> boxes that I know want 12/5vDC inside the case, but that's not an easily
> available option from the vendor - most of the time the only option is
> autoswitching 120-240DC with your choice of power cables.
>
> The 10,000amp bus for the 12v feed for a row of server racks would be a
> thing to behold. I don't think anyone but Paul Wall has seriously considered
> this.

Some day I'd love to meet that guy--he sure has come up with some
revolutionary ideas here!

(OK, so it's not as practical when you have other customers to worry
about... but it might not be so crazy when you're looking at the
efficiency numbers for 100,000 small 1u power supplies vs a set
of much larger ones.)

Matt