"Unlimited" wireless data...

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Sat Dec 4 02:03:49 UTC 2010

On 12/3/10 4:47 PM, Nathan Eisenberg wrote:
> Their definition of unlimited tends to be "barely acceptable
> throughput levels, until you start streaming youtube/netflix or doing
> a long-running download or using bittorrent to seed files to your
> work PC and laptop or using your VPN to retrieve a document, in which
> case, we won't turn you off, we'll just silently jail you into a
> 32-128kbps bandwidth profile.   Also, have some poorly implemented
> NAT on our ludicrously underpowered CPEs!"

Biggest problems with the home base station Clear modems from Motorola
is that you can't turn off the NAT and just use it as a pass through. I
believe with the 'normal' non Clear firmware, its not locked like that.

The other fun I noticed with those same modems is that some have come
wide open, public facing web ui unprotected with a default password.

Yay for 'customer experience'.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org