Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Sat Dec 4 00:34:04 UTC 2010

On 12/03/2010 03:21 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Alex Rubenstein <alex at corp.nac.net> wrote:
>> Anyway, back to topic: Vendors, please a) get all your gear to cool front-to-back, and b) let it take 480 polyphase and not require a neutral. I, for one, will be happier. The datacenter of tomorrow (hell, today) require this.
>>

> People are still feeding their gear with AC?  Save on PS inefficiency,
> and feed direct 12/5vDC to the servers.  Save space, save power,
> save cooling.

If you're already in a datacenter, getting 208V AC from an existing AC
infrastructure is a lot easier, cheaper, and sometimes more plausible
than building a DC plant.  If you have your own facility, it's a
different story, but if you do colo, you probably have more customers
expecting AC than DC, so you'll at least need to maintain both
infrastructure.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer