Domain shut downs by Registrar?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Dec 3 18:10:31 UTC 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 5:49 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> thanks... so, in this case, why did they take this action?

When folks with guns and little sense of humor show up at your door with a sealed court ordered warrant relating to resources you have direct authority over, would you tell them to talk to a retailer for that resource?  Oh, and don't forget VeriSign has a contract (cooperative agreement? whatever) involving the USG for the administration of COM/NET.

> why didn't they push the action to the registrar? or did they and the registrar
> refused to comply? (potentially because the domains weren't violating
> a TOS?)

The registrar in question (GoDaddy) claims no one came to them and they had no idea what was going on (although that didn't stop them from blaming ICANN).

> I suppose though, on the good side, we can expect the Verisign folks
> to now shutdown other domains we bring to their attention as
> malware/spamware/etc without protest?

"Got Warrant?"

Regards,
-drc