The scale of streaming video on the Internet.

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Dec 3 14:44:56 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Paul Ferguson" <fergdawgster at gmail.com>

> >> Didn't we already replace that with twitter?
> >
> > quake/tsunami warnings flow via email rather quickly.
>
> Old skool.
>
> Twitter is much faster:
>
> http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/government-disaster-advisors-twitter-ha
> cked-used-to-send-tsunami-warning/408447

Ok, let's go here.

The problem, as a few seconds thought would reveal, is one of *provenance*.

You could call it authentication if you wanted to, but to the *end-user*,
what the authentication *authenticates* is the provenance.  And anti-spoofing
is pretty important, when the message might be "run for the hills; the
bombers is comin'!"

Well, ok, more to the point: "This is the Pinellas County Emergency Manager;
I'm declaring an official Level 3 evacuation ahead of Hurricane Guillermo."

You can put it on Twitter... but you can't *only* put it on Twitter.

Cheers,
-- jra