Blocking International DNS

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Dec 3 04:31:28 UTC 2010

Jorge,

On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
> I bet it is not a trivial enterprise to put together and give shape to
> an organization like ICANN. My biggest concern is that somewhere in
> the painful process of building this organization something got
> completely derailed from its original intents.

I suppose it depends on your view of "its original intents" (and what you mean by "ICANN").

> I believe that there is a lot of people very concerned with what ICANN
> is doing and what it is supposed to do, and trying to fix it from
> within is not an easy task either, getting involved in ICANN's
> processes and ecosystem is very demanding, and unless you have a big
> chunk of dough in the bank or are being paid (which brings on front
> line the interests of who pays you) there is not an easy way to make
> free volunteer work effective.

My view (having been on both sides now) is that despite numerous missteps, particularly early in its life, ICANN really is trying to do "the right thing". There are lots of challenges, not least of which is that given ICANN's structure, the definition of "the right thing" depends on who participates most actively in the myriad ICANN processes.

> I guess we are sliding OT for this list ...sigh

Yep, and that's unfortunate as folks who participate in NANOG generally have opinions that could counterbalance the folks who usually show up at ICANN meetings.

Regards,
-drc