Want to move to all 208V for server racks

John van Oppen jvanoppen at spectrumnet.us
Fri Dec 3 04:02:49 UTC 2010

GFCI breakers are very common, the slightly less common version are arc fault breakers which are starting to show up more as well.

GFCI breakers are often required on large services, most large (new) 480v services I have seen (1000A and larger) a have Ground fault breakers, in fact I have seen some bad outages on entire datacenters where the main breakers had a lower ground-fault current setting (for tripping) than a branch circuit that had a phase-to-ground fault resulting in the main breakers tripping instead of the branch circuit.   I don't know if the ground-fault breakers are required just in Washington (I am in seattle) or if it is a NEC requirement.

John