Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:40:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 22:07, Ricky Beam <jfbeam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think they are now a violation of the NEC.  And they were delisted by UL
> years ago.  They pose a hazard as they will not react fast enough to prevent
> a fatal shock. (and the only one's I've ever seen were outlawed as the
> breaker itself was a fire hazard.)

While I do not have a copy of NFPA 70-2011 (the latest latest, released
a few months ago), my reading of NFPA 70-2008 still allows GFCI
breakers (NFPA 70 is the official name for NEC).  Personally, I
prefer to specify and use GFCI outlets (and I tend to not daisy
chain) so that the the fault is next to the use (and no collateral
outages occur).  Of course, specific breakers may not meet the
newest requirements.