The scale of streaming video on the Internet.

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Dec 2 22:22:24 UTC 2010

On 12/2/2010 4:08 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Yes, Tony, but they can't *count the connected users that way*, you see.

Actually, given content protection, I highly expect any device receiving
multicast video to also have a session open to handle various things,
possibly even getting keys for decrypting streams. I doubt they want
anyone hijacking a video stream. I also expect to see video shifting to
region specific commercials. After all, why charge just one person for a
commercial timeslot, when you can charge hundreds or thousands, each for
their own local audience; more if they want national.

> For my part, as someone who used to run a small edge network, what I wonder
> is this: is there a multicast repeater daemon of some sort, where I can put
> it on my edge, and have it catch any source requested by an inside user and
> re-multicast it to my LAN, so that my uplink isn't loaded by multiple
> connections?

If it's actual multicast, it should be there already. I've seen a few
interesting daemons for taking unicast and splitting it out, though.
Buddy had a little perl script setup with replay-tv which allowed a
master connection who could control the replay-tv, and then all other
connections were view only. Was simple and cute.

> Or do I need to take the Multicast class again? :-)

I sure as hell need to read up again. I keep getting sidetracked with
other things. Perhaps after I wrap up the IPv6 rollout, I can get back
to Multicast support. I believe most of my NSPs support it, I just never
have time to iron out the details to a level I'm comfortable enough to
risk my production routers.

Jack