CAP / WARN / iPAWS

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Dec 2 21:42:05 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jack Bates" <jbates at brightok.net>
>
> What would be really awesome (unless I've missed it) is Internet
> access to the emergency broadcast system and local weather services; all
> easily handled with multicast.

Ah, something I know something about for a change.  :-)

In fact, there's some work in progress on this topic, Jack; FEMA is working
on replacing the EAS -- which itself replaced EBS, and earlier, Conelrad --
with a new system called iPAWS: The Integrated Public Alert and Warning
System.

At the moment, they're working on the "replace the EAS backbone" part of it,
which work is about a year behind schedule, and everyone wants an extension,
but there are other useful places to apply some effort.  I'm a designer, not
a coder, so I've been piddling around in the part I'm good at; thinking about
design.

Some of the results are here:

http://www.incident.com/cookbook/index.php/Rough_consensus_and_running_code

and

http://www.incident.com/cookbook/index.php/Alerting_And_Readiness_Framework

and I invite off-list email from anyone who has suggestions to toss in the
pot.

Cheers,
-- jra
(I would like to subject-unthread this, but my mailer is too stupid.  Sorry)