The scale of streaming video on the Internet.

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Dec 2 21:02:37 UTC 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]
Yes and no... The existing system  is a multi-point (transmission towers)
to viewers (multicast) environment. No reason that isn't feasible on the
internet as well.

> Oh: and all the extra servers and switches necessary to set that up?

For equivalent service (linear programming), no need. For VOD, turns
out to be basically identical anyway.

> *Way* more power than the equivalent transmitters and TV sets.  Even if
> you add in the cable headends, I suspect.

Not if you allow for multicast.

> In other news: viewers will tolerate Buffering... to watch last night's
> daily show.  They will *not* tolerate it while they're waiting to see if
> the winning hit in Game 7 is fair or foul -- which means that it will
> not be possible to replace that architecture until you can do it at
> technical parity... and that's not to mention the emergency communications
> uses of "real" broadcasting, which will become untenable if enough
> critical mass is drained off of said "real broadcasting" by other
> services which are only Good Enough.

Viewers already tolerate a fair amount of buffering for exactly that.
The bleepability delay and other technical requirements, the bouncing
of things off satellites, etc. all create delays in the current system.

If you keep the delay under 5s, most viewers won't actually know
the difference.

As to the emergency broadcast system, yeah, that's going to lose.

However, the reality is that things are changing and people are tending
to move towards wanting VOD based services more than linear programming.

Owen