Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Dec 2 20:54:15 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ingo Flaschberger" <if at xip.at>
>
> in europe GFIs are always needed for prection and by law.
> to avoid the cascading effects the GFCIs are better.
> break current ranges from 10mA (bath) up to 300mA; for servers I use
> the 30mA with pulse protection (internal delay) to avoid the server
> powersupply capacitor loading GFCIs "flip".

And that, indeed, is one of the circumstances in which Chris Lewis and
Steve Bellovin's Wiring FAQ suggests that you should *not* use a GFCI:
in places where the inevitable "nuisance trip" is troublesome, like
powering servers.

That FAQ is a bit dated, of course.

And indeed, I never liked GFCI breakers for the usages for which they're
mandated in the US, cause the milliamp currents they're supposed to trip
on are no match for all that copper resistance...

Cheers,
-- jra