Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Alex Rubenstein alex at corp.nac.net
Thu Dec 2 18:59:33 UTC 2010

> I really want to move all newly installed internal and customer racks over to
> all 208v power instead of 120v.  As far as I can remember, I can't remember
> any server/switch/router or any other equipment that didn't run on 208v AC.
> (Other than you may need a different cable) Anyone have any experience
> where some oddball equipment that couldn't do 208v and regret going 208v?

I can tell you, that from a collocation operator prospective, we want you to do 208v. I'd love to require it in our facilities, but sales people won't let me go that far.

Why?

A couple of reasons.. Neutral current, more power delivered using less copper, etc. Personally, I like delivering two L21-30's per rack and call it day - allows for a comfortable 8kw per rack in 2N+1 redundancy. And, it still has a neutral if it's needed, which we hope it isn't.

We rarely run into things that require 120v, but it's usually older equipment. Or, most notably, the 'call home' modems that EMC uses on their SANs.