Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Dec 2 17:43:36 UTC 2010

On 12/2/10 8:35 AM, Jameel Akari wrote:

> Just be careful on older non-autosensing power supplies where you have
> to flip a switch to go from 100-120V to 200-240V input, in that you make
> sure to flip them to begin with, and that you flip them back should you
> ever mover them back to a 120V circuit.

Been there, done that with my nagios box when I had to replace a fan
years ago. The build table was 120V so I flipped the switch and forgot
to flip it back. It actually booted for about 5 seconds before things
inside the PSU started exploding and spewing magic smoke. Scared the
daylights out of me. No damage other than requiring a new PSU.

~Seth