Blocking International DNS

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Dec 2 04:19:45 UTC 2010

Steve,

Which is, of course, unrelated to ICANN (see http://domainincite.com/icann-had-no-role-in-seizing-torrent-domains/) and is a result of VeriSign following US law in the management of two of the top-level domains they operate.

> plus the COICA bill (http://www.eff.org/coica)

Yeah, COICA is a barrel of fun.  As is LOPPSI-2 in France and the equivalent regulations in places like Sweden, Germany, etc.

However, my impression (but will admit not having looked into this very much) is that the guy from Pirate Bay is merely pissed off because he lost a UDRP complaint when he obtained the IFPI.COM domain after the International Federation of the Phonograph Industry let it expire, misunderstood (perhaps purposefully) what happened at VeriSign, and decided to capitalize on it.

> That said, I think the problem is primarily political, not technical.

Right, but that wasn't what I was questioning.  I suspect that no matter what legal venue you put something as tasty as the "control of the DNS", there will be folks who will attempt to exercise that control for their own political purposes.  Even internationalizing it doesn't seem to be a good idea to me (based on my impression of how politics get involved in places like the ITU).

I'd love to see a non-hierarchical naming system that didn't suck more than the DNS, but as I said, it seems that's a very hard problem...

Regards,
-drc