Blocking International DNS

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Dec 2 03:10:34 UTC 2010

> internationalizing ICANN may be the best solution.

for sure!  if it is truly removed from the states and not put in genf.

gedanken experiment: who would i trust more to not interfere with
**other people's** data, the usg, icann, the itu, or the pirate bay
party?  my conclusion makes me very sad.

but playing with the current dns is a short term solution.

in the long run, centralization/rootification of control is equivalent
to monopoly.  and we have seen time and again that this leads to
despotism, often cloaked in false protectionism and false "we represent
the community.".

we have a significant failure by the security community in that they
keep giving us hierarchic models, pgp being a notable exception.

randy