Cage nuts/rack hw near SAVVIS DC3 (Sterling VA)

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Dec 1 16:48:36 UTC 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 8:43 AM, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> said:
>> the colo provider may not want to 'waste' electricity/cooling on a
>> vending machine...
>
> A plain (non-drink) machine draws a few watts.  I don't think rack
> screws and patch cables need to be refrigerated; if they can't spare a
> few watts for a vending machine, then you probably can't install
> anything new there anyway.

You know, I don't think the reason this doesn't happen is a technological one.  There are a bunch of us who've been pushing this idea to DC and colo providers for well upwards of fifteen years now, and I don't know of anyone who's actually done it.  The problem is supply, not demand.  Combining someone who's willing to service vending machines for a living with someone who knows what we need the vending machines stocked with is the sticking point, since the market is too small to separate those roles, I think.  At least to bootstrap.  Of course, if the economy continues downward, maybe there will be more clueful people who figure stocking vending machines is better than no work at all.

                                -Bill