Cage nuts/rack hw near SAVVIS DC3 (Sterling VA)

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Dec 1 15:56:59 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-01, at 09:48, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 06:43:25AM -0800, JC Dill wrote:
>> I really don't understand why someone hasn't put vending machines in
>> every major colo around the world.  We have vending machines that sell
>> ipods at the maul, we can certainly have a vending machine that sells
>> rack nuts and screws, patch cables, tools, etc. at colos.
>
> Every meeting I have with a colo provider I suggest this exact idea.
> Patch cables (cat5, single mode, multi-mode), fiber couplers, maybe
> even SFP's, velcro ties, a 10-in-1 screwdriver, etc.

Two notable places I've done site work where the colo vendor was happy to sell me such things were Terremark/NOTA in Miami and Global Switch in Amsterdam. But even in those cases there were times where I needed something outside normal office hours and couldn't find anybody to sell it to me. Vending machines have the advantage that they don't sleep.

Joe