Did your BGP crash today?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Mon Aug 30 17:28:26 UTC 2010

At 12:40 PM 8/30/2010, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>This only way they could have caught this one was to have tested to a
>CRS which had another router to which it was announcing the attribute in
>a mal-formed packet. Worse, the resets should just keep happening as the
>CRS would still have the route with the unknown attribute which would
>just generate another malformed update to cause the session to reset
>again.
>
>While it may be possible to recover from something like this, it sure
>would not be easy.

We experienced something like this a year ago on a couple of quagga
boxes. At least we had source code to go through and resources to
make use of that source code to find the problem and implement a
quick work around.  Its for situations like this, debugging logging
is ooooohhh so important.

What did people do in this case to identify the issue ?  Did you just
pass it off to your vendor ? or did anyone try to diagnose it locally
?  If so, what did you do ?

         ---Mike

>--
>R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
>Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
>E-mail: oberman at es.net                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634
>Key fingerprint:059B 2DDF 031C 9BA3 14A4  EADA 927D EBB3 987B 3751

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike at sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike