Did your BGP crash today?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Aug 29 17:13:44 UTC 2010

On 8/27/10 1:07 PM, Mike Gatti wrote:
> where's the change management process in all of this.
> basically now we are going to starting changing things that can
> potentially have an adverse affect on users without letting anyone know
> before hand .... Interesting concept.

BGP is transitive, change management is not. you have a change
management process, your peer might integrate into that but have their
own, your peer's peers almost certainly do not.

Every time a wet-behind-the-ears network engineer connects a bgp speaker
to the edge of the network it's an experiment in the the stability of
the Internet.

This on the fact of it seems like a quite reasonable experiment, which
should have worked, except that it happened to tickle a bug...