Did your BGP crash today?

Christian Martin christian.martin at teliris.com
Sat Aug 28 11:48:15 UTC 2010

I think that focusing on researchers (who we assume are good-intentioned) misses the point.  Any connected BGP speaker can inject any form of ugliness.  The routers that mishandled these updates were bounded by routers that were able to 'properly' handle corrupted updates.

The question of aggressive teardown of BGP sessions after a speaker receives garbage has been well considered for a long time.  Stop the problem at the edges.  The only difference here is that the edge moved one hop closer to the core.

/c

Sent from my iPhone