Did your BGP crash today?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat Aug 28 09:46:42 UTC 2010

> I am really surprised by these attitudes. Guys (and gals), these
> incidents simply go to reinforce that the software we depend on, has
> not received sufficient testing and that we all have gigantic
> exposures due to things outside of our direct control

nice anti-vendor rant.  but over the last decades we the ops have asked
for a jillion features which creates massive code, and there is no hope
of testing all the code paths rigorously.  the vendors have large test
labs, and do what they can.  sure, they could do better.  so could we
all.

but it is also coders' responsibility, whether vendors or researchers or
hackers, to also test what they send.  in this case, clearly that was
not done sufficiently.

if i am sloppy in my receiving code, the pain is mine.  if you are
sloppy in your sending code, the pain is not yours.

randy