Did your BGP crash today?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Aug 27 22:20:01 UTC 2010

On Aug 27, 2010, at 5:37 PM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

> 	come on Chris,  is the Internet an experiment or not? :)
> 	one would think that a responsible party would have made
> 	efforts to let others in the "playground" know they were
> 	going to try something different that could have ramifications
> 	on an unkown distribution of some code bases.

I'm assuming that they weren't really expecting this to cause
issues... Where does one draw the line? I'm planning on announcing
x.y.z.0/20 later in the week -- x, y and z are all prime and the sum
of all 3 is also a prime. There is a non-zero chance that something
somewhere will go flooie, shall I send mail now or later?

Also, I would prefer that this gets discovered and dealt with (in this
case by stopping the announcement :-)) than having folk not willing to
try things and ending up with a weaponized version...

--
What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today,
is: "Why is it so dark in here?"

     -- (Terry Pratchett, Pyramids)